Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Plight of a Picky Eater

People have been telling me for years that since I have an obsession (or a pickiness) for food I should start my own blog where I share yummy recipes, report on local great finds, and provide general food information.

That day has finally come!

To start things off I want to share a great recipe for my favorite Persian side dish: Maast-o Khiar (Persian Cucumber Yogurt). This dish is great for parties as a dip with pita chips, or with vegetables. It is also a great side dish to add to a heavy meal of meats and starches. Skip the chips and use this dish as a side to your sandwich or salad.

Ingredients

  • 1 (32 ounce) container plain yogurt  (I use low fat Greek yogurt)
  • 3 English cucumbers, peeled and cubed
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 5 tablespoons dill weed (dried is easier to find but fresh dill is a nice touch)
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
You can add nuts, raisins, fresh mint, oregano, and change the amounts of cucumbers, garlic, dill weed or shallots based on your desire. 

Substitutions:
Lemon juice instead of salt
Nonfat yogurt instead of Regular yogurt

Once all the ingredients are mixed together in a bowl, let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour before serving if you can wait. I usually can't wait and it is just as yummy freshly made. 
Prep time: only 15-20 minutes depending on fast you can peel, cube, and chop. 

Enjoy and let me know how you like it, and the changes you might have made. I would love to try new ways of enjoying this tasty dish.

That's my take :)