Saturday, March 19, 2011

In celebration of the Persian New Year!

Happy Spring!

So far I have been posting my favorite family dishes that can be enjoyed any time of year.

In honor of the Persian New Year "Nowruz" which celebrates the first day of Spring I am sharing this great main dish with you!

Fesenjoon is a stew that can be prepared in advance and refrigerated then heated before dinner. It requires time and much patience as you personalize it to your taste. It is one of my favorite main dishes (I know- I have many favorites!) and can taste great sweet or sour so you can decide how you like it :)

If you love pomegranate and walnuts this is the dish for you. You can substitute the meat choice. I use chicken breast instead of chicken legs and some people use meatballs instead of chicken.

I found this recipe to be easier to follow and more realistic for me to cook. I found it on http://www.sadaf.com/recipes/Recipe14.html.


thelemursarehungry.wordpress.com

Pomegranate stew with chicken 
(Makes 6 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 lbs. Chicken legs w/o skin, cut up
  • Dash of salt
  • 3 TBSP. olive oil 
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate paste , dissolved in 1 1/2 cups of water or 2 1/2 cups of pomegranate juice 
  • 2 cups shelled walnuts, finely ground
  • Sugar as needed to sweeten dish to your liking
Calories:
About 535 mostly coming from walnuts and sugar. Depending on how sweet you like it you can cut down the calories based on sugar inclusion or amount of walnuts used. Walnuts are key to the recipe so watch how much you cut the amount. 

Directions:
In a large pot, brown onions and chicken in the oil. Add salt and diluted pomegranate paste.
Add the ground walnuts to the pot, stirring occasionally. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent the nuts from burning.

If the stew is too thick, add warm water to thin it. Taste the sauce and adjust for seasoning and thickness. The stew should be sweet and sour according to your taste. Add pomegranate paste to sour the taste or sugar to sweeten it. Serve with steamed white rice or brown rice.


Alright, there is it... my favorite Persian main dish. :) It is an acquired taste so if you want to try it first before investing time making it at home, you can find it on most Persian restaurant menus.  I would love to know your thoughts. How did you change it to fit your desires? 

Happy Spring! Happy Nowruz!

That's my take :)