Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My favorite Persian Salad Recipe

As the seasons change and the weather improves, a healthy tasty low calorie dish is in order!


Shirazi Salad - Persian Tomato and Cucumber Salad (serves 4)
It is light, refreshing and only 68 calories. :)

Ingredients:
1 large tomato
1 large cucumber
1 large onion
parsley
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice (or to taste)
salt, to taste

Preparation:
Finely chop the tomato, cucumber and onion. Toss the chopped vegetables in with the parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Finally add salt to taste and serve (or let the salad sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to get an even better taste).

Substitutions/Additions:
Lime juice instead of or in combination with lemon juice, English Cucumbers are ideal but any style you like can be used, and Mint is a great accent to the salad as well.

You can have it as a complete meal if you are looking for something light for lunch or late night snack. It can also be a great side dish to a heavier meal with proteins and starch.

Hopefully you too will like this dish. You can ask my mom - I am addicted! Let me know if you try it. Maybe you played around with it and modified it? I would love to know what you did :)

That's my take :) Have a good night.

(I found this photo online through Google- I am unable to find the link so I apologize for not properly giving credit- should I find it I will update the post with credit for the photo)