Friday, June 10, 2011

Was it warm enough today for Popsicles? I think so!

Hi Everyone,

The nice weather today got me thinking about one of my favorite summer things: Popsicles! My favorites growing up included Missile Pops, Rocket Pops and Push-Up Pops. Unfortunately, all 3 have quite a bit of sugar and food coloring. Don't worry, there are healthy versions, too. So, first a fun fact about the beloved Popsicle, and then healthy ways to still enjoy them. :)


POPSICLES
The Fact: The Popsicle was invented by an 11 year old who kept it secret for 18 years.
The inventor was Frank Epperson who, in 1905, left a mixture of powdered soda and water out on the porch, which contained a stir stick. That night, temperatures in San Francisco reached record lows. When he woke the next morning, he discovered that it had frozen to the stir stick, creating a fruit flavored ice treat that he named the epsicle. 18 years later he patented it and called it the Popsicle.




A great way to both enjoy Popsicles and be healthy is to make them yourselves. Yes, that's right - Homemade Popsicles! You can add your favorite fruit and juices/milk and you can have tasty original Popsicles.

My favorites:
  • Cold coffee with vanilla soy milk
  • Mango Orange juice with raspberries
  • Pineapple juice with finely chopped strawberries
You can find Popsicle molds on Amazon.com and at local stores such as Crate&Barrel, Target and William Sonoma.

If you come up with great flavors, let me know. I am excited to try new concoctions.
Thanks for reading my blog!

That's my take :)

The fun fact about Popsicles is courtesy of  http://listverse.com/2007/12/17/top-10-incredible-food-facts/